Listen To The Podcast Here
Matt Dunbar is the Managing Director at Upstate Caroline Angel Network and the Co-Founder of the South Carolina Angel Network. He was named Greenville’s 50 Most Influential People by Greenville Business Magazine in both 2010 and 2013 and has a lot of wisdom to share about what it takes to be an angel investor. Matt also shares the four things you need in order to build credibility with angel investors in your pitch.
- 02:30 – Matt shares a little bit about his background.
- 05:50 – When Matt started his career, he slowly had an ‘itch’ to become an entrepreneur.
- 07:35 – You have to move away from left brain thinking in order to pitch someone.
- 08:30 – Matt talks on how he became involved in angel groups in South Carolina.
- 10:30 – How important is timing?
- 13:20 – Who does Matt let into his angel network?
- 16:00 – Investors are looking for some kind of exit strategy 3-5 years from now.
- 16:20 – Matt looks for pre-capital efficient startups.
- 19:40 – What kind of returns are investors looking for?
- 21:20 – Matt shares a ROI success story.
- 24:20 – In a pitch, build credibility with an investor.
- 27:35 – John recaps the four things that helps build credibility.
- 28:30 – How do you defend your business model and accurately know your numbers?
- 30:55 – Matt recommends two books, Venture Deals and Antifragile.
- 33:05 – Check out UpstateAngels.com and SCAngelNetwork.com for more information.
Venture Deals by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson
Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Upstate Carolina Angel Network
South Carolina Angel Network
Upstate Carolina Angel Network Twitter
Effectual Entrepreneurship by Saras Sarasvathy
Want the Transcription?
Share The Show
Did you enjoy the show? I’d love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
- Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
- Click on ‘Write a Review’